Sunday, March 1, 2009

Let them eat cake

I felt I needed to pay penance for some joking around I did. We had some friends whose daughter was celebrating her birthday. The father had told me in passing that they had picked up a particularly delicious cake. I joked that I needed to pass by and grab myself a piece. Later on that evening, we had some other friends over for dinner and found out that they were going over to the first friend's house after dinner.

Now, I have a bad habit of teasing little kids to get their goat. I spent the next couple hours teasing our friend's daughter, telling her that she needed to get me a piece of cake. She would refute me and I would egg her on. Julie tried to get me to stop, but really, is that possible? Come on. I barely have the maturity level of a 5 year old.

After they left, Julie said that I laid it on pretty thick. I shook my head. "Nah," I said, "they knew I was kidding." A few hours later, the door bell rang. Julie answered the door and all I heard was, "Oh my gosh. PETE!" It was at this point I knew I had gone too far. The birthday girl's dad had shown up with some cake. I could only laugh. I guess I need to (1) take it easy on the joking around and (2) listen to Juls a little more.

And yes, the cake was DELICIOUS. :)

0 comments: